Capsize of a Laser 2000 and rescue.

Post your comments here about safety on the water
tim-clarke

Capsize of a Laser 2000 and rescue.

Post by tim-clarke »

Brian Murray reported damage to one of the Lasers on the maintenance section on 30th May 2016.

The words are from Brians report, with addition in capitals by myself.

Yesterday while out racing in strong winds and heavy swells we capsized, and had cause to be towed back to port by the Wally,
the problem is, that the Wally is a rigid boat and while towing Dos along side the blocks where the rope runs through with the fenders on running along the side of the Wally fit exactly under the overhang on the lasers hull, hence with the constant movement of the two boats in the waves the hull of Dos has now fiberglass damage on the port side.
I suggest that a large fender should be carried on the Wally to keep a towed boat a safe distance apart while being towed.

YOU HAVE A RESPONSIBILITY FOR THE CARE OF OUR BOATS.
ON FUTURE RACE DAYS, PLEASE ENSURE THAT LARGE FENDERS ARE ON BOARD THE RIB. THE PINK BOUYS OR THE LARGE FENDER IN UNOS LOCKER CAN BE USED.

I would also like to add a remark about capsizing, well not so much about the actual capsize but the fact that getting back into the boat after having righted it is quite difficult at the best of times but getting my sailing mate back into the boat was a Herculean task.
I weigh about 11 stone 7 and he is 18 stone getting him over the stern of the boat was nigh impossible, today I feel as if my shoulder joint is half out of the socket, Enough of my frivolities and down to the nitty gritty, the question is can anyone think of a way of making something that can be dropped down behind the boat so that there is some way of getting a purchase with your feet or foot.a mini ladder of some sort rolled up and held on place with Velcro may be something to think about?

THE BOW SAFETY LINE SHOULD HAVE A LOOP IN THE END. THIS LINE IS LONG ENOUGH TO GO OVER THE STERN, AND THE LOOP CAN THEN BE USED AS A STEP. IT IS YOUR RESPONSIBILITY TO CHECK THAT NO-ONE HAS UNDONE THE LOOP BEFORE YOU LAUNCH THE BOAT.

ALSO SEE THE VIDEOS REGARDING THE METHODS OF RIGHTING THE LASER 2000.
BETTER STILL PRACTICE YOUR CAPSIZE DRILLS. DON'T LEAVE IT UNTIL IT IS TO LATE.

Brian rightly reported the damage to the maintenance team via the website. I am aware that another boat was also involved in a collision with the jetty.

CAN I REMIND EVERYONE TO TAKE THE TIME TO REPORT ANY INCIDENT WHERE DAMAGE MAY HAVE BEEN CAUSED. EVEN IF YOU HAVE CHECKED THE BOAT AND FOUND NOTHING.
A VERBAL REPORT TO A MEMBER OF THE MAINTENANCE TEAM IS NOT ENOUGH. WHY SHOULD THEY HAVE TO MAKE A WRITTEN REPORT TO COVER OTHER PEOPLES ERRORS.

THE REPORTING OF FAULTS AND DAMAGE IS IMPORTANT. SINCE THE AGM ONE OF THE LASERS NEARLY SANK, DUE TO AN UNREPORTED ONE INCH HOLE IN THE BOW. (i suspect, but have no proof, that the person who caused the damage, not only failed to report it, but failed to book the boat on the calendar. I would not like to think that they removed the booking to cover the fact that they had caused the damage).

PLEASE REPORT FAULTS.
PLEASE REPORT ANY POSSIBLE DAMAGE.
THINK SAFETY

ENOUGH OF MY RANT.
HAPPY SAILING
Tim

tug-wilson

Re: Capsize of a Laser 2000 and rescue.

Post by tug-wilson »

I completely agree with Tim.
If you take out one of our boats.You are affectively the skipper.That means not only being in charge of the safety of the boat,but the safety of your crew.
And everybody who steps into a dinghy must be able to right it in the event of a capsize/inversion.

happy capsizing. :lol:

george-wedgwood

Re: Capsize of a Laser 2000 and rescue.

Post by george-wedgwood »

Thanks for the capsize post Tim about Brian's experience. I will take this into consideration during the risk assessment but the main question I ask is; was the 'heavy' person in question one of our Members? If he was then it seems he was incapable of performing capsize drill and would fail the test of capsizing and righting sufficiently well to get back in. This would be serious and stresses the need for all Members to have regular capsize practice - at least once per year. Failures cannot be considered competent members to skipper a boat and would be a liability as a crew member - what if he was with Brian doing a 'round the Island trip' when the capsize occurred? I have been in that situation due to the difficult winds between the Islands and fortunately both of us were fit and able to get back in once righted. Our Rules must be rigid and accepted by members and somehow we must be able to ensure that all comply - but this is not easy and each member must bear a lot of responsibility for their own actions and attendant misfortunes! Topic for one of our meetings?

Best, George