The Corona Virus

Post your comments here about safety on the water
ssadmin
Site Admin

The Corona Virus

Post by ssadmin » Sat Mar 21, 2020 11:04 am

Please use this topic to discuss and share any information you might have about this dreaded virus. Even though meetings and sailing is banned for the foreseeable future you can still keep in touch with each other here. You can also check the Shoestring Facebook page here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/shoestringsailing/

Stay safe people.
Regards,
Pat Fleck.

ssadmin
Site Admin

Re: The Corona Virus

Post by ssadmin » Wed Apr 01, 2020 1:43 pm

Seeing as there have been no posts here apart from some tumbleweed rolling across the screen I decided to publish an excerpt from my diary...

Saturday 29th Feb 2020

Time to go home. Our flight was at 14:30 and our lift to the airport was organised with our next-door neighbour, who picked us up at 12:30. The flight was on time and Ben was waiting at Manchester to collect us and bring us home.
We decided to stay in as the weather was horrible, wet and cold, but it made a pleasant change from our frenetic lifestyle in Spain.

Sunday 1st March 2020

To be resumed on April 1st.

Wednesday April 1, 2020

CORONA VIRUS!!!

What can I say? Spain is in lockdown and here in the UK we are almost the same with heavy restrictions regarding mobility and social distancing. The Bakery closed down last Saturday and we have no idea if and when it will open again for business. Today should have been our second day in Spain for the start of our summer residence, and we should have been looking forward to having glass curtains installed so that we could eat on the terrace without fear of being bitten by mosquitoes and bothered by flies etc. It would also have added some welcome extra space to our living room, but instead here we are in the middle of a pandemic with no idea when it is going to end. The Prime Minister, Boris Johnson and some members of the cabinet have contracted the virus and are in isolation for a week at least, possibly two providing they recover…

On the plus side there are a lot of jobs around the house and garden that I can now get on with, e.g. I’ve cut back the brambles and mile-a-minute weed at the back of the garden and fixed the fence that was threatening to collapse due to being attached to next-door’s excuse for a fence. I have now detached the two fences and theirs’s can collapse for all I care. I’ve fixed it for them so many times that I have had enough.

I’ve unblocked the drain at the front of the house which had been blocked for many years, it wasn’t as difficult as I had thought it would be. I’ve weeded the front garden ready for power washing when we get some more dry weather. Talking about the weather, it has been really good especially last week when we had a few days of glorious spring sunshine that enabled us to get in the garden which is now looking pretty good. Marje bought some new plants which are now hopefully growing underground in their pots ready for the summer. Another plus this year is that we will see the peonies and the Japanese peonies for the first time in many years.

The fish are being fed every day so they are happy and the pond water is looking nice and clear as it should, seeing that I have had to buy a new pump to replace the old one which broke down recently.

My days are now spent staying in bed longer than I would normally as there is not much point in getting up early, so I usually get out of bed around 9:30 and have breakfast consisting of a bowl of granola and two cups of tea. I then look at the news on my pc to see how many people died yesterday around the world. After that I will load up facebook, which I am beginning to detest more each day because of all the morons out there posting vile and unfunny memes and sick jokes. I will then check youtube to get some real news as opposed to the MSM crap that we are fed on an hourly basis. In the afternoon I will go for a walk, joints permitting otherwise I will do a bit of spinning on my exercise bike.

On Wednesday’s we hook up online with the La Zona quiz team and pretend we are at La Zona. Each team sets 10 questions and we have a good laugh together, in anticipation of the day when we can participate in a real quiz at La Zona. Today being a Wednesday I am looking forward to getting online with my friends in Spain and some like us, still here in the UK.
Regards,
Pat Fleck.